Are you an entrepreneurial full-stack developer who loves to drive change in a small to medium sized business? Do you have a passion for enabling small businesses to work to the best of their potential? Does the prospect of a pivotal role in a dynamic, young company excite you?
We are a leading education provider who specialises in character education courses for children in the UK and Internationally (Saudi Arabia, Singapore, China, Mexico, Switzerland to name just a few). We are just closing a round of angel funding and now need someone to help grow the technology that drives our business and realise our ambition to become the market leader in the character education space.
We’ve also recently been lucky enough to be judged as one of the top 100 best companies to escape to in 2019.
Why we exist
We want to inspire a generation of children to become the very best they can be through their relationships, their well-being and their own sense of purpose.
We want to do this by teaching at least a million children over the next few years in how to communicate well, collaborate effectively, think critically, solve problems creatively and lead brilliantly so that they can shape their future and those around them.
This opportunity will suit someone who has a few years of technical experience, although we are much more interested in you, your raw talent and problem-solving skills, than in CV points.
Our business is human-centred and began with providing specialised child-care and grew to providing face-to-face Life Skills courses. With growth, especially international growth, technology has grown to be a key supporting pillar to what we do. We have invested heavily in our Podio CRM over the past year and will be rebuilding our Wordpress-based web site this quarter. It will be fully integrated with Podio and some of the marketing systems we use to reach customers.
Our aim is to increase Life Skills Course bookings across the world by 200%+ over the next year and that means we will be investing heavily in digital-marketing and technology. You will report to our CTO and work closely with our operational and digital-marketing teams as well as outside agencies. We have recently raised a round of angel funding to support that growth.
We have begun to provide online courses and we expect much of our growth to be supported or even driven by technology. It is important that we build-up technology knowledge and skills that stay with our business. That means that this role, although contractor to start with, must be medium or long-term. We want you to stay with and grow with the business, ensuring that code is well-commented and systems well-documented. With the right skills and performance, you could grow to be a project manager, even tech manager within the growing business.
You should be passionate about driving growth, working towards big goals and being a pivotal part of a fast-moving team.
Reporting to the CTO, you will:
- Build and support our website, CRM and related systems
- Write code that is clean, organised and well-commented
- Work to the tech priorities agreed with the CTO and business team
- Fix bugs and help the team with the systems they use
- On occasions, liaise and work with outside agencies
- Support the growth of our digital-marketing efforts
- Ensure that our systems are resilient, secure and always available
- More rarely, you will be on call late or out-of-hours if systems require
- Be part of a strong hard-working environment; we have quarterly team events and a great internal vibe
We are not hung up on a laundry list of required technical experience. We’re much more interested in raw talent, intelligence and hunger but some things that would be useful are listed below. If you’re not familiar with them now, then we would expect you to become increasingly expert with them over the next few months. You should have the motivation, brains and learning skills to do so:
- PHP - Good or some experience – PHP 7
- Understanding of MariaDB / MySQL, backups and basic SQL
- Interest and experience working with HTML5 and CSS3
- Interest in UX and UI design
- Knowledge of WordPress and WooCommerce would be ideal
- Some knowledge of CRM systems, ideal - Podio CRM
- Some Bootstrap, Adobe Creative Suite
- Git, version control and some project management
- Basic Linux system admin, Bash, scripting, Vim, Centos / Red Hat
- Bug-tracking and basic project-management
- Some knowledge of network protocols, DNS, CDN, SSL
- Some knowledge of payment systems – Stripe
- Some interest in SEO and digital marketing
Traits we’re looking for
- The ability to problem-solve, research and generate ideas and solutions
- Energy and people skills
- Raw intelligence and intellectual curiosity
- Technical aptitude and interest in technical developments
- Interest in good design, presentation, photography and video
- The ability to work with non-technical colleagues, communicate and prioritise
- Independent and entrepreneurial working style – asking for help when needed
- Fearless pursuit of testing, analysing and learning
- A fun and friendly team player
- Happy to get your hands dirty supporting the business wherever needed including battling with the printer or helping customers
- Passionate about character education
The nitty gritty
We are looking for someone who can ideally start in December 2019, or before. We expect you to work from our offices on Stormont Road, Battersea, SW11 5EN as required although much of the actual tech can be done remotely. We work from home on a Wednesday and expect you to have the self-discipline and work-ethic to do the same.
Your fees will be approximately £250-350 per day, depending on experience.
As a contractor, your holiday, benefits and tax are yours to take care of but there may be the opportunity to grow into a permanent role.
Role Models is only 5 years-old so the team is relatively small but well-formed and great fun! We have 6 full-time employees and 3 part-time employees. As a result, you would have the opportunity to make a huge difference to the trajectory of this growing business and would be given significant responsibility.
We have a relaxed dress code although we would expect that you would be able to dress more smartly when meeting customers or suppliers.
To explore this exciting opportunity please send a covering letter and CV by Friday 15th November 2019 or before.